Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I Spy - Week 10A (Vocab)

Due to an inconsistent schedule influenced by our upcoming sports day I continued with my lesson on Natural Disasters this week.  Since the reading topic this week was specifically vocab I'll concentrate on how I presented that.

The important vocab that I presented in this lesson was names of different natural disasters. For example: earthquake, tsunami, volcano, avalanche, drought.
I presented the vocab by using a PPT with pics of the different disasters.  I then nominated a student at random to name that disaster.  The Ss easily named three out of the five presented with 'avalanche' and 'drought' being the most difficult.  In the event that a S didn't know the answer I changed to an invitation to reply strategy wherein usually at least one S knew and shouted out the answer.  I then presented the spelling of the word and had the class repeat chorally.  After that, as a class, we produced a sentence that defined the word.  For example:  Drought -  There is no rain and the land is too dry to grow crops.

In the production phase the Ss had to first match the word with the definition and then create a sentence with a chosen disaster:  An avalanche is the most dangerous natural disaster because it is snow falling fast down a mountain.

I felt good about the lesson.  Some Ss even chose to use 'avalanche' or 'drought' in the production phase despite not being familiar with it before.  The definition matching required very little assistance from me.  One issue of note is that since 'tsunami' is a Japanese word, sometimes Ss were confused about how to say it in English.  I simply explained that in English we might say 'giant wave' but the Japanese word is acceptable too because we don't really have a single word for that in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment